Mascot Redesign Contest
Calling all creatives! Student Leadership is sponsoring a contest for our student body to redesign the college mascot. If you draw, paint, sketch or digitally illustrate, you can enter our contest. The winner gets bragging rights, their place in Seattle Central history and $1,000. Details are below. Entries are due February 14, 2020.
The contest is open to current students with an active Student Identification (SID) at Seattle Central College, including Central's Health Education Center, Wood Technology Center and Seattle Maritime Academy.
The contest is sponsored by Seattle Central College and Associated Student Council.
- The contest opens on Monday, January 6, 2020 at 9 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST) and submissions are due no later than Friday, February 14, 2020 at 11:59 Pacific Standard Time (PST)
- You may submit only one mascot design and only your first submission will be considered
- Entries must be submitted by email. You must include:
- Name, Student Identification and any information to describe your artwork or design, limited to 150 words
- Email entries to Mascot.Central@seattlecolleges.edu
- Recommended email subject line: Central Mascot Entry "YourFirstName_YourLastName"
Below are recommendations and guidelines to consider before you begin:
- The artwork or design should include only the head of the tiger on a contrasted background
- Only include two colors (for example, black on white, blue and white, etc)
- You may use text, but it should be limited to one of three options:
- Seattle Central College
- You may include landmarks or icons of Seattle, Capitol Hill or Central's campus
- Artwork may incorporate Seattle Central College's Mission, Vision and Values
Below are requirements that must be followed in order to be considered for the contest:
- Only original work is accepted
- Clip art images are not permitted
- Artwork may be created in pen, pencil, charcoal, or any other media
- Artwork may be created digitally
- Submissions will only be accepted electronically. No physical copies will be accepted. The library and computer labs at the following locations offer resources to scan your work:
- Central Campus Computer Lab, Broadway-Edison Building, Room 3148
- Central Campus Library, Broadway-Edison Building, Room 2101
- Health Education Center Satellite Library, Pacific Tower, Room 301
- Wood Technology Center Satellite Library, Room 203
- The image should not exceed 25 MB due to email limitations of file size
- Submissions may be made in JPG, JPEG, PNG, AI, EPS or PDF format
To avoid being disqualified, please abide by the additional guidelines:
- You may not post your artwork on public sharing websites or social media until Seattle Central College announces the official finalists. Violations will result in disqualification from the contest
- No hate or discriminatory content is allowed
- Designs should be non-partisan
- Non-original artwork will be automatically disqualified
- If you are not qualified for the contest, do not follow the Official Rules and Guidelines or if you have made any false statements in terms of your qualifications to participate, you may be disqualified at any stage of the contest
- If you are disqualified, you may appeal the decision. To learn more about appeals or to begin an appeal, email Mascot.Central@seattlecolleges.edu
The winner will receive $1,000 and will have their design reproduced on Seattle Central websites, social media channels, print media and promotional give-aways.
The winning entry will be announced on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 on all Seattle Central social media channels and via campus wide email. An event is planned in mid-April 2020 to celebrate the winner.
Student Leadership will organize a Mascot Committee to judge and evaluate each submission. The 10-person committee will consist of:
- Seven (7) voting members, including:
- Four (4) students, all non-student leaders
- Two (2) non-administrative staff or faculty
- Seattle Colleges Graphic Designer
- Three (3) non-voting advisors:
- Two (2) Associated Student Council members
- Associated Student Council (ASC) advisor
The Associated Student Council has the final right of decision on the composition, number of members or appointments or removal of committee members.
The Mascot Committee will advance between 3-5 finalists, depending on the number of overall submissions during the contest:
- 1-25 submissions: 3 finalists
- 26-75 submissions: 4 finalists
- 76+ submissions: 5 finalists
From the finalists, Seattle Central's students with an active Student Identification will determine the contest winner by casting only one vote for their favorite choice. Voting will open on Friday, February 28, 2019.
Mascot finalists will be displayed on this website in February as voting opens.
Each entry will be evaluated using the five criteria below and can be awarded up to 100 points. Each category is worth 20 points.
- Form: Is the artwork in the form of a Tiger? Does it look like a Tiger?
- Visual Clarity: Is the artwork of high resolution? Sharp lines, high image quality, lacking graininess or pixilation?
- Uniqueness: How different is this design from others? Is it distinguishable from other submissions or previous mascot designs?
- Representative: Does the design contain elements of Seattle Central, including the college's initials, campus or Capitol Hill landmarks/icons?
- Other: The final points may be awarded at the discretion of each committee member.
If you have questions about the contest, please contact Student Leadership by email at Mascot.Central@seattlecolleges.edu.
Check out some of the designs created by your fellow students. Entries close February 14, 2020.